Phimai National Museum
Phimai national museum
Tha Songkran Rd, Tambon Nai Muang , Phimai District, Nakhon Ratchasima 30110
It normally opens daily from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
Tel: 0-4447-1167, 0-4448-1269
Admission: 20 baht for Thais and 100 baht for foreigners.
“Phimai National Museum is situated on Tha Songkran Road near the Moon River, Nai Muang Sub-District, Phimai District, Nakhon Ratchasima Province, 300 metres from Prasat Phimai and 59 Kilometres from Muang District. At first, it was an open site museum, collecting art objects from Prasat Phimai and its neighboring sites, and under the supervision of the Archaeology Division. Later in 1975, it was sponsored by the National Museums Division and established to be the regional museum of the Lower Isan. From 1989 to 1993, the Fine Arts Department received a budget from the Royal Contribution Project (or the Green Isan Project) to develop Phimai National Museum. The Permanent exhibition and its building, the museum office, auditoriu, study collection, storage area, guest houses, and other facilities are now completed. H.R>H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn presided at the opening ceremony of Phimai National Museum on August 4th, 1993.
The museum is the center of cultural heritage in north-eastern Thailand, emphaxizing artifacts from the lower Isan, such as Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Buri Ran, Surin and Si Sa Ket. The interesting art objects belong to Dvaravati and Khmer art styles. The Dvaravati style can be seen on Sima or boundary stone while the Khmer style is evident in stone carving of lintels, pendiments, pillars and antefixs. The master piece of the museum collection is the stone statue of King Jayavarman VII of Angkor Thom which was found in Prang Bhramadhatta, Prasat Phimai.:”
Our pictures of the Phimai National Museum are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50651722@N03/sets/72157632149664989/