Chan Kasem museum

Chan Kasem museum

The location of the Chan Kasem museum is in the new pa Sak River’s west bank. This is a national museum placed in the northeastern portion of the Chan Kasem Palace in the Hua Ro district of Ayutthaya. The palace is popular by different names such as Front Palace and Wang Na and it is easily accessible via U Thong road. There are several factors that make Chan Kasem museum an attractive tourist destination. However, the main two reasons are collections of National exhibits and architectural and historical significance.

The most prominent buildings in the museum are The Pavilion, the Pisai Salayalak Throne Hall, Phiman Rataya Throne and the administration building. The place was home to many famous kings such as King Narai, King Naresuan, King Thai Sa, King Sua, King Boromakot and following kings after the 1767 period, including Rama1V. The museum is actually a combination of buildings encircled by a wall and was initially constructed for King Naresuan in 1577. At that time, King Naresuan was the prince ruling Phitsanulok and he built the construction with sandalwood as it was a royal trend of that era. After the initial construction, it was named Chan Palace. In 1767, it was destroyed and again it was reconstructed by Rama 1V and it was renamed as Chan Kasem.

At the end of the 19th century, the Chan Kasem Palace stored the antique collection of Phraya Boran Rachathanin, who was Ayutthaya’s Governor and a popular historian as well. The collections were widely acclaimed and in 1902, the Minister of Interior, Damrong Rachanuphab visited the place and recommended to set up a museum by with the Royal horse stable as an exhibition hall. That was the time, when the place was named as the Ancient Museum. Two years later, in 1904, King Rama V and he was very much impressed by the collections. He decided to take the entire collections for exhibiting them at the Chaturamuk pavilion. Further construction works took place or the purpose of displaying objects and then it got the name of the Ayutthaya Museum. Then almost after three decades on 12 February 1936, the museum won the status of the National Museum because of the Fine Arts Department’s initiative. That was the time when the museum got the name of the National Museum of Chan Kasem and it became Thailand’s first provincial museum. Certain collections of Phraya Boran Rachathanin were transferred to the National Museum Chao Sam Phraya and the National Museum in Bangkok.

Presently, the museum exhibits its three main constructions, which are the Chaturamuk Pavilion, the Phiman Rataya Group and the Deputy Government or Maha Thai Building.

In the Chaturamuk Pavilion “The memories of King Rama IV”, which are the collections of daily items used by the king, are displayed. In the Phiman Rataya Group, the top-class collections of Phraya Boran Rachathanin are displayed such as Buddha images, wood carving, votive tablets, etc. The Maha Thai Building is inclusive of five famous themes such as Trading ceramics of the Ayutthaya Kingdom, Ayutthaya art and architecture, Buddhist objects, Ancient weapons and the Riverside life in old city.

The entrance charge of this amazing museum is 30B.