Wat Phra Ram Ayutthaya Thailand


Wat Phra Ram is a major attraction in the city of Ayutthaya. On the east section of the Grand Palace, the temple of Wat Phra Ram was constructed by the King Ramesavara. It is said that the king developed the temple on the place where his father, King U-Thong was buried. The temple was constructed in the year of 1369 and since then it went through several renovation works, but the biggest restoration work took place in 1941. Most of the ruins of Wat Phra Ram date back to the period of the 15th century. The front part of the temple features Bung Phra Ram, which is a big lake. This is a natural lake that got enlarged due to the foundations of numerous nearby temples that removed the dirt. The main highlight of the temple is a well-balanced prang positioned on a stepped terrace decorated with chedis. The standing and walking Buddha images are awe-inspiring and catches the attention of the visitors.



Exhibiting a strong prang, Wat Phra Ram has an intricate lineage that indicates much of the historical structure of Ayuthaya. It is claimed to be constructed over a period of three hundred years by numerous kings throughout that period. Most prominently, it is said to be the cremation site of King U Thong who was the founder of the Ayuthaya kingdom. King Uthong was the father of King Ramesuan who built Wat Phra Ram in 1912 B.E. The reigning period of King Ramesuan was only one year and therefore, it is assumed that the construction was completed by the successive King Borom Rachathirat I, or by King Ramesuan during his subsequent time in power. The temple went through several restoration works under the reign of King Borom Trailokanath, and by King Borom Kot in 2284 B.E. Today, the temple is a big attraction in the city of Ayutthaya with numerous chedis and prang.


The visitors of Wat Phra Ram love the frontal part of the temple where a large swamp is based. This beautiful swamp remains covered with flowers and lotus and it looks elegantly beautiful in the flowery season. This swamp was not as big as it is today. Earlier, it was known as Nong Sano and it was quite small. When the city foundation work was going on, it seems that earth digging took place in the area, resulting in the big size of the swamp. Probably, earth was dug out to level the sites of the Royal Palace, Wat Rajaburana, Wat Maha That, and Wat Phra Ram. Other nearby attractions of Wat Phra Ram include Wat Na Phra Men, which are among the few temples in Thailand that got escaped from the Burmese destruction; Wat Phra Si Sanphet- includes three large and several small chedis. It is one of the most historically significant temples in old Ayutthaya; Wat Ratchaburana with excellent columns and walls, prang and ruined chedis; Chao Sam Phraya National Museum that includes various stone, bronze, terracotta and ceramics works along with votive panels and gold jewelry and lots more.

Admission charge to Wat Phra Ram is 50 Bahts.


Wat Phra Ram in 360 degrees.

Drag your cursor on the picture and click right. Move it up and down, left and right and the picture will follow your movements. You can zoom in and out using ‘shift’ and ‘ctrl’ keys.